Mediterranean Diet Immersion Program
The objective of the Mediterranean Diet Immersion Program of Cocina en… is to facilitate students, or any person interested in our Mediterranean Diet, to live in first person all cultural, social and nutritional aspects that characterize this food style and way of life..
For this reason our program covers activities related not only nutrition, cooking, harvesting, fishing, etc. but also social aspects considered a determining factor of the Mediterranean Diet.
The Mediterranean Diet a life style
The Mediterranean Diet more than a dietary pattern is a life style. Benefits of the Mediterranean Diet have been recognized worldwide, as it has been proved that it leads to a lifelong good health.
Mediterranean Diet has been listed as one of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO. According to UNESCO the Mediterranean Diet is a set of skills, knowledge, rituals, symbols and traditions concerning crops, harvesting, fishing, animal husbandry, conservation, processing, cooking, and particularly the sharing and consumption of food.
Mediterranean Diet Immersion Program Description
In order to comply with the aforementioned aspects, our proposed Program contains a series of core activities such as:
- Spanish & Catalan Cooking Workshops where to learn about the most common culinary techniques and the seasonal products most frequently used.
- A tour to most representatives Fresh Food Markets in Barcelona where to learn about: Spanish culture, local and seasonal products and buying behavior
- Tapas Tour to experience in a practical way the Mediterranean social behavior
- A Taste of some of the most typical Mediterranean products: wine and olive oil.
- Visit to a winery and its vineyards to learn about wine culture and wine making methods.
And other complementary activities which will add value to the whole program, based on key products of the Mediterranean Diet:
- Craft Bread Making
- Seasonal Vegetables and Herbs: Use of vegetal micronutrients in the Mediterranean Cuisine
- The water: Taste of Waters, a visit to a desalinization plant
- The sea and its products: Visit to a mussel plant and a fish market or enjoy a Tuna tour experience
- A traditional meal with a Spanish family to learn about the key role that the family has in the Mediterranean Culture, and the importance of women to transmit knowledge and values to next generations.
This is a 2 weeks program, 10 working days. Activities will take place in Barcelona and surroundings. Some of the activities will require a full day and others will be part time, leaving students time to visit and enjoy the friendly city of Barcelona.
This program is specially designed for Food and Nutrition Students and also for Students of Spanish.
If you are interested to know more about the Mediterranean Diet Immersion Program, please contact us. We will be happy to provide you with more detailed information.